Pro Golfer since the age of 15, Brian Davis wants to get golfer more aware of the risks associated to sun exposure. Diagnosed with skin cancer, he testifies: “ it opened my eyes. In England, people do not pay so much attention, because the sun is not always visible, but when I became conscious of the actual risks, my own skin had already been seriously damaged...”.
Tips for sun protection on the course: :
- Apply the sunscreen before you start the game and apply again before the 10th hole
- Beware of misleading « fresh » skin sensations from cool wind or water splash if you play your ball from a water hazard. UV are still present and harmful even
if you do not feel the heat.
- If you spend significant time in or around bunkers, beware of intense light reflection (up to 40% of UV light) from the sand.
- Avoid being on the fairways from 12 am to 4 pm. Tee off before 8 am or after 4 pm
- Do not roll in rage and short pants into the grass after a triple bogey. Some grass and chemical can induced sun related photo-allergy